Mission of San Juan Capistrano, 1776

The rustle of swallows’ wings and their soft songs have graced the area now known as San Juan Capistrano since all of our times began.  The region was initially settled by the Native Americans. The Spanish arrived in 1775, and founded the Mission of San Juan Capistrano on November 1, 1776.  This mission was the 7th of 21 missions established by the Spanish across California. In 1821, the area was under rule by the Mexican government.  The territory changed hands again in 1848 after the Mexican-American War, and the US took control. The mission was in a period of decline until President Abraham Lincoln returned it to the Catholic community, who restored the mission to its present beautiful state. And each year, regardless of wars or governments or ownership, the swallows faithfully return. (Image from CaliforniaMissionGuide.com/)
El susurro de las alas de las golondrinas y sus cantos suaves han adornado la zona ahora conocida como San Juan Capistrano desde el comienzo de todos nuestros tiempos. La región fue poblada inicialmente por las naciones nativas americanas. Los españoles llegaron en 1775 y fundaron la Misión de San Juan Capistrano el 1 de noviembre de 1776. Esta misión fue la séptima de las 21 misiones establecidas por los españoles en California. En 1821, el área estaba bajo el dominio del gobierno mexicano. El territorio volvió a cambiar de manos en 1848 después de la guerra entre México y Estados Unidos, y Estados Unidos tomó el control. La misión estaba en un período de declive hasta que el presidente Abraham Lincoln la devolvió a la comunidad católica, que restauró la misión a su hermoso estado actual. Y cada año, independientemente de las guerras, los gobiernos o la propiedad, las golondrinas regresan fielmente. (Image from CaliforniaMissionGuide.com/)

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.