Las Cruces, New Mexico Becomes a US City 1907

The beautiful city of Las Cruces, New Mexico, was incorporated as a US city on October 9, 1907.  The area was originally settled by the Manso Native American nation until the Spanish invaded in 1598.  The territory remained as part of the Spanish empire until 1821, when the Mexican government acquired the land.  After the Mexican-American War in 1848, Las Cruces and New Mexico became part of US territory.  Las Cruces is the second most populous city in New Mexico, and home to the land grant New Mexico State University. Latinx comprise about 57% of the city’s current population. (Image from LOC.gov, Las Cruces City Hall, 1942)

La hermosa ciudad de Las Cruces, Nuevo México, fue incorporada como ciudad estadounidense el 9 de octubre de 1907. El área fue originalmente poblada por la nación nativa americana Manso hasta que los españoles invadieron en 1598. El territorio permaneció como parte del imperio español hasta 1821, cuando el gobierno mexicano adquirió la tierra. Después de la guerra entre México y Estados Unidos en 1848, Las Cruces y Nuevo México pasaron a formar parte del territorio estadounidense. Las Cruces es la segunda ciudad más poblada de Nuevo México y sede de la concesión de tierras de la Universidad Estatal de Nuevo México. Los Latinx comprenden aproximadamente el 57% de la población actual de la ciudad. (Imagen de LOC.gov, Ayuntamiento de Las Cruces, 1942)