Posts

Founding of the Mission San Gabriel Arcángel 1771

In the early autumn light of southern California, two Spanish friars founded the Mission San Gabriel Arcángel on September 8, 1771. This mission was the fourth in the series of Spanish missions that stretched along El Camino Real on the California coast.  The mission is now a Catholic parish that ministers in English, Spanish and Vietnamese languages.  The mission is rich with historical artifacts: the altar was handcrafted in Mexico City and brought to the Mission in the 1790’s; six polychrome wooden statues were carved in Spain and arrived in 1791, and the hammered copper baptismal font was a personal gift from King Carlos III of Spain.

A la luz de principios de otoño del sur de California, dos frailes españoles fundaron la Misión San Gabriel Arcángel el 8 de septiembre de 1771. La misión fue la cuarta de una serie de misiones españolas que se extendieron a lo largo de El Camino Real en la costa de California. La misión es ahora una parroquia católica que ministra en los idiomas inglés, español y vietnamita. La misión es rica en artefactos históricos: el altar fue hecho a mano en la Ciudad de México y llevado a la Misión en la década de 1790; seis estatuas de madera policromadas fueron talladas en España y llegaron en 1791, y la pila bautismal de cobre martillado fue un regalo personal del rey Carlos III de España.

San Antonio, California Mission of 1771

In the warm air of northern California, Spanish friar Junipero Serra founded his third mission of San Antonio de Padua on July 14, 1771. The mission was developed as a working farm with gristmill and tannery.  After extensive refurbishments due to damage from an earthquake, it is now open as a church, retreat center, and museum.

En el aire cálido del norte de California, el fraile español Junipero Serra fundó su tercera misión en San Antonio de Padua el 14 de julio de 1771. La misión se desarrolló como una granja de trabajo con molino y curtiduría. Después de extensas renovaciones debido a los daños causados ​​por un terremoto, ahora está abierto como iglesia, centro de retiro y museo.